Share your food with the hungry, and give shelter to the homeless. Give clothes to those who need them... Isaiah:58:7

Those who oppress the poor insult their Maker, but helping the poor honors him. Proverbs 13:31

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Why they don't know how old they are...

I was reading on CCI's yahoo group this explanation:
Most of the kids that come home from overseas have made up birthdates. Many were abandoned and the orphange just guessing on their birth date. This is often true for countries such as China, Russia, Ukraine, etc. In many developing countries, such as Ethiopia, most people don't actually know when they were born. Many were born in rural villages, like my girls, where no one has a calender. Also, Ethiopia has a otally different calendar than the rest of the world. It has 13 months and they just had ET New Year's so its now 2002 in Ethiopia therefore there are often mistakes when they try to translate the date into our calendar.

Sure is interesting! I am still trying to comprehend how one part of the world is still in 2002. Instead of being 49, I would only be 45. I think I like that!

1 comment:

  1. What you're doing is wonderful. It would be great to touch base with you on how you tie in to the Niedermeyer family tree. My wife and I do a lot of genealogy and woould love to find out more about your branch ;)

    Steven Niedermeyer
    Contact info at http://www.ntrees.org

    ReplyDelete